Everyone wants to be happy and healthy in life. Daily exercise, balanced diet is the secret of a healthy life. If you exercise daily and do not consume unhealthy things i.e. smoking & alcohol etc. then definitely you can lead a healthy life.
But nowadays the disease which has made its place in every house is stomach gas. Everyone wants to know that what is this gas, why and how it is formed, and what is its treatment?
The main reason for gas formation is the fast-paced life and changed lifestyle. Everyone is short of time in today’s life. In such a situation people are not able to take care of their health. Many times the problem of body gas arises due to a lack of healthy and nutritious food. It indicates poor digestion.
This gas produced in the stomach is a waste gas that is produced by itself during digestion. Usually, this gas comes out through the anus several times with foul smell and sound. This gas is caused by a microbial breakdown in foods. For example, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and methane gas are formed. If your digestive system is bad or is not able to function properly, then many problems related to the stomach arise. Most of these are indigestion, gas, constipation, and upset stomach.
Let us first understand the digestive system.
Many organs are located inside the digestive system in our body. These organs are connected from one tube to another. The digestive system consists of all the organs from the mouth to the anus, which includes the esophagus, small intestine, and large intestine. The digestive system consists of the liver, stomach, and gall bladder. All these organs make juice to carry out the digestion process. The digestive system absorbs all the nutrients and removes the waste and bad substances from the body.
If any problem is raised in the digestion of nutrients due to irregular diet or lifestyle, then one such serious disease is born which is present in almost every household today, that is the formation of gas in the stomach.
Keeping all these things in mind, in today’s blog, let’s discuss all the following questions with their answers and effective yoga for gas.
Also read: Yoga mudras and types
A) What are the causes of gas formation in the stomach?
B) What are the symptoms of gas formation?
C) How do yoga asanas help in reducing gas?
D) What are the home remedies for gas?
Let’s discuss all 4 questions in detail.
Causes of gas formation in the stomach:
Following are the scientific and general reasons for the gas in the body.
- The cause of gas in the stomach is usually due to swallowed air while eating or drinking.
- Gas is formed in the large intestine of the stomach when bacteria stimulate it.
- The other main reason for gas formation is the formation of amalgam.
- Sometimes high fiber foods also increase the production of gas in the body.
- Soda and carbonated drinks increase stomach problems.
Apart from this, irregular lifestyle and irregular eating habits also cause gas.
- Eating heavy food which is difficult to digest.
- Do not chew food properly.
- Acidity, indigestion, constipation, and the consumption of some special medicines also cause a gas problem.
- Sometimes it is natural to have gas in the stomach due to some diseases like viral fever, any kind of infection, stones, tumors, and ulcers, etc.
- Apart from this, different eating habits such as eating very quickly, talking while eating food keep more air in the stomach. Which causes gas formation.
Symptoms of gas formation:
These symptoms are usually seen when there is a problem of gas in the stomach-
- Loss of appetite
- Bad breath and swollen abdomen
- Vomiting, Indigestion, Diarrhea
- Passing gas
- Getting nausea
Yoga for Gas Problem:
How does yoga help in reducing gas? The following Yogasanas should be practiced regularly if there is a problem with gas in the stomach. Like-
This asana helps in expelling unnecessary gas from the digestive tract of the stomach. That’s why it is called Wind Releasing Pose. Pawanmuktasana is an excellent asana, which is considered very important for good digestion. Regular practice of Pawanmuktasana helps in encouraging bowel movements. This asana helps in stretching the abdominal muscles and the entire abdominal area. Apart from helping to digest food properly, it also helps in flushing out toxins from the digestive system.
Method of doing Pawanmuktasana-
- First of all, lie down on your back.
- Extend both the legs and reduce the distance between them.
- Now lift both the legs and bend the knees.
- Encircle the knees with the arms.
- Exhale, while pressing the knees bring it towards the chest. Raise the hands and bring the knees close to the chest so that the chin touches the knees.
- Maintain this posture as far as possible.
- Then while inhaling bring the feet to the ground.
- It was a cycle.
- In this way, you do 3 to 5 cycles.
It is the main in Yogasana to remove the problem of stomach gas. Vajrasana increases the blood flow to the stomach and intestine and helps in digesting the food effectively without causing problems like acidity, gas, and indigestion. It also helps in making the digestive system strong.
Method of doing Vajrasana-
- To do Vajrasana, first of all, sit on the ground with your knees bent.
- During this, join the toes of both the feet together and keep the ankles apart.
- Now rest your buttocks on the ankles.
- Then put the palms on the knees.
- During this, keep your back and head straight.
- Keep both the knees together as well.
- Now close your eyes and keep breathing normally.
- Try to sit in this position for five to 10 minutes.
If there is a lot of pain on the knees, then do not force it with the body. Get up after a minute or two and gradually increase the time daily.
3. Paschimottanasana or Forward Bend Pose:
It is a beneficial yoga posture to keep the abdominal organs healthy. This asana not only helps in the proper functioning of the digestive organs and treats digestive problems but is also effective in regulating the menstrual cycle. Its regular practice can also help you in reducing tummy fat. This asana increases blood circulation by stretching the waist, hips, arms, shoulders, and abdominal area.
Also Read: Seated forward bend – steps & benefits
Method of doing Paschimottanasana-
- First, you sit on the ground.
- Now spread both your legs in front.
- Leave the back muscles loose.
- While inhaling, move your hands up.
- Then exhale and bend forward.
- You try to hold the fingers with your hand and bring the nose to the knee.
- Breathe in slowly, then exhale slowly
- And wear this exercise according to you.
- Gradually increase the duration of this.
- It was a cycle.
- In this way, you do 3 to 5 cycles.
Balasana is a resting pose. It relaxes the digestive system and helps in relieving acidity and gas. When you are in this asana, it helps to stretch your abdominal organs and make them strong. Balasana stretches the hips, thighs, and ankles by reducing stress and fatigue.
Method of doing Balasana-
- Sit on your ankles, place the heels on the hips, lean forward and place the forehead on the ground.
- Place the hands on the ground with the palms facing forward from both sides of the body, palms towards the sky (if this is not comfortable, then keep the forehead relaxed by placing the other palm on top of one palm.)
- Gently apply pressure on the thighs from the chest.
- Maintain the position.
- Get up slowly and sit on the heels and slowly straighten the spine.
5. Kapalbhati Pranayama
This pranayama is good for curing obesity, stomach problems, digestive disorders, and many other stomach-related disorders. In this, you focus on your breathing and senses. Kapalbhati calms the body and improves digestion.
Method of doing Kapalbhati-
- Sit comfortably, keeping your spine straight. Place your hands on the sky, comfortably on your knees.
- Take a long deep breath in.
- While exhaling, draw your stomach inwards. Draw your stomach in such a way that it touches the spine. Do as much as you can. You can feel the contraction of the abdominal muscles by placing your hand on your stomach. Pull the navel inwards.
- As soon as you release the abdominal muscles, the breath automatically reaches your lungs.
- Take 20 breaths to complete one round of Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- After one round is over, relax and close your eyes. Feel the excitement manifested by pranayama in your body.
Solutions to the gas problem
There are many solutions which are as follows-
- Drinking lukewarm water on an empty stomach in the morning cleans the stomach well. If you drink light hot water after eating food, then it helps in digesting the food. Those who have the problem of indigestion must drink hot water after eating. Drinking hot water in the morning and after meals will reduce gas formation in the stomach.
- If your routine includes exercise or yoga, then you will have fewer chances of gas problems or not at all. With yoga, your body will also be healthy and strong.
- Make sure to include exercise or yoga in your daily routine. If you cannot do it, then definitely do Morning Walk or Evening Walk.
- Many natural properties are found in lemon. Lemon is also beneficial for the stomach. In case of a gas problem, drinking lemon juice mixed with baking soda provides benefits. You can also use lemon in the food salad.
- Drinking less water causes many diseases, one of which is stomach problems. If you want to keep your stomach and body healthy, then definitely drink clean water in the proper quantity. By drinking more water, less gas is produced in the stomach.
- Having an empty stomach causes gas to form in the stomach, so never keep the stomach empty. If you are not eating then drink more and more water. If your stomach is full then gas will not be formed.
- Ginger helps in the digestion of food and prevents gas formation. You can consume it in tea, vegetable or salad.
Must include these foods in your diet to get benefit in gas formation:
- Black Pepper
- Fennel Seeds
- Celery Seeds
Also Read: Imagery Meditation
At the end of the blog-
We can say that some problems are not treated by medicine, stomach gas is one of those problems. If your routine and food are not balanced then you can be a victim of it. There probably isn’t much harm in ignoring a mild stomach upset or gastric trouble. But, you should be concerned if any of these symptoms occur regularly. So consult a doctor immediately.
Keep doing Yoga, Be happy and healthy.