Anulom – Vilom Pranayama is very beneficial and important pranayama. Anulom – Vilom Pranayama is made up of three words in which Anulom means – right nasal and Vilom meaning – left nasal and pranayama means breathing. Inhalation and exhalation of the right and left nostrils.
The same second name is Naadi shodhna pranayama which is made up of words. Naadi means – energy channels of the body that is pulse and Shodhan means purifications.
Practicing Naadi shodhan pranayama helps in purifying the pulse. It also helps in increasing the level of oxygen in the body. In simple words, it is called an Alternate Nostril breathing exercise.
Anulom-Vilom Pranayam can be done by people of all age groups and its duration can be fixed according to convenience. This is the initial preparation for the Anulom-Vilom Pranayama.
The scientific reason behind Anulom Vilom pranayama
With the practice of Anulom-Vilom pranayama, you take in extra pure air and exclude carbon dioxide i.e. contaminated air. Pureblood reaches all the organs of the body through the heart and provides nourishment to them. Lung function increases and the level of vital power increases.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama brings balance in both hemispheres of the brain. It brings our power of thought and coordination in emotions. The brain’s thinking capacity is deep and concentration increases. The level of mental stress decreases. Therefore, heart patients and those whose blood pressure is increased and should practice Anulom-Vilom regularly.
Health Benefits of Anulom Vilom
Anulom and Vilom have many health benefits. If you do the Anulom-Vilom Pranayama then you will want to do this mudra every day because it keeps all the internal organs of your body strong and healthy. This pranayama is a boon for a person who desires true health.
Now here I am telling you in detail which physical problems can be relieved by doing Anulom -Vilom by regular practice of it?
Let’s know what are the advantages of Anulom-Vilom.
1)Improve Heart Health:
Anulom –Vilom Pranayama can prove to be very beneficial to avoid heart diseases. This pranayama regulates the breath and heart rate.
2)Effective pranayam in Arthritis:
Anulom-Vilom is effective in the treatment of diseases like arthritis. Heart disease is also behind the cause of Arthritis. It is an effective pranayama, which works to control the heart rate as well as to increase the capacity of the heart. Keep in mind that apart from heart disease, diabetes and obesity can also cause arthritis. In this way, Anulom –Vilom can also help you. Anulom-Antonym Pranayam can give relief from diabetes.
3) Relieving relief in diabetes and hypertension Pranayama:
Regularly practicing Anulom Vilom breathing does not increase cholesterol. Due to which there is no problem with blood pressure. Apart from this, it is beneficial for diabetics, by practicing it, the insulin level in the body is not reduced.
4)Extremely beneficial in brain diseases like Migraine:
Doing Pranayam brings positive thoughts to the mind. Anulom- Vilom daily helps to overcome various problems like anger, irritability, stress, forgetfulness, etc.
People suffering from migraines have unbearable pain in half of the head which causes depression and anxiety. According to scientists, breathing pranayama removes depression and anxiety.
5)Obesity and reducing weight:
This pranayama helps to open the arteries of the heart and increase the metabolism of the body. Obesity can be controlled by practicing Anulom-Vilom on an empty stomach every day.
The beneficial function of increasing the concentration – Anulom – Vilom is to increase concentration. Students can practice this unique health technique to strengthen their concentration power. It also increases decision-making ability with Pranayama concentration.
7) Detoxifying the body:
It works to detox the body. It works to detox the toxin that is filled due to the carelessness of food and drink in the body. It increases the body’s immunity.
8) Keep you Calm:
To keep oneself calm, the mind and brain need to remain calm. Pranayama is a yoga process that calms you physically and mentally. According to scientific studies, if you do regular practice of breathing exercises it keeps you away from anxiety and depression. It also works to increase brain function. You can also do Anulom-Vilom Pranayam daily to remain stress-free.
9) Blood Circulation:
Anulom Vilom Pranayama can be seen to control blood circulation in the body. It regulates the blood pressure of the body.
Anulom -Vilom should be done on an empty stomach. You can do this after 3-4 hours of eating food. It is good if you also have a calm and comfortable atmosphere to do it.
Steps of Anulom Vilom
1) Choose a clean place, place a yoga mat, or clean cover.
2) Now you sit in the posture of Padmasana, if you cannot sit in Padmasana, then you sit in Sukhasana.
3) Keep your waist straight and close both your eyes.
4) Take a deep breath and leave slowly, then try to focus on yourself.
5) Then close the right nostril with the thumb of your right hand and take a deep breath in slowly from the left nostril.
6) Now close the left nostril with the middle finger of the right nostril. And exhaling slowly, removing the thumb from the right nostril.
7) Take a few seconds and take a deep breath through the nasal side of the right.
8) Now close the right nostril with the thumb of the right hand and exhale slowly, removing the middle of the right hand from the left nostril.
9) Thus, one cycle of pranayama will be completed.
10) You can do 4-5 rounds at a time.
You can do this process regularly for up to 10 minutes.
General mistakes during Anulom-Vilom:
- Do not insist on breath and keep the pace of breath simple and comfortable.
- Do not breathe through the mouth or make any sound while breathing.
- Do not use bright breath.
- There is no need to apply any pressure.
- Tighten the breath, causing a small amount of oxygen to come with the breath and does not expand the life.
- Moving the neck and shoulders backward while breathing.
- Forcibly stopping the breath for too long is harmful to people with asthma and heart disease.
- Do not keep the waist and spine straight and keep the right hand down.
- Practicing Anulom Antonym Pranayam during cold and cough can cause swelling in the respiratory tract.
- Do not keep a right-hand posture.
- Do not keep the mind calm and focus on the breadth
Precautions during Anulom-Vilom Pranayama
- Always practice this pranayama on an empty stomach.
- If you can do this pranayama, then do it in the morning and you can do it even after 3 hours of eating.
- Do not practice this pranayama if you have problems like asthma.
- Serious heart patients, blood pressure patients, and pregnant women should proceed to this practice only on medical consultation.
At the end of the blog:
Hopefully, you will have cleared all doubts regarding Anulom-Vilom. To get the benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama, follow the methods mentioned in the article. For the first time, those who do this exercise may suffer a little bit, but you keep trying.
There is no prohibition to do this pranayama. You can practice this pranayama on an empty stomach 2-3 times a day, after learning this breathing process. Yoga develops the body and mind. Yoga has physical and mental benefits, but it cannot be used in place of any medicine, etc. You must learn and do this yoga as per the instructions of a trained Yoga instructor.
Stay happy and healthy.