A healthy person can earn a lot of profit in his life. Regular yoga is very important to lead a healthy life. In today’s modern life, stress has increased a lot and the surrounding environment is also not clean. Nowadays better health means a better life. We cannot calculate the benefits of Yoga.
Today we will discuss a very effective posture Ardha Chakrasana. It is known to be one of the best exercises to get rid of back pain or lower back pain problems. Ardha Chakrasana is also known as “Half Wheel Pose”. This is a miracle that God gave as a gift to the human species. Ardha Chakrasana maintains our physical health and reduces stress. It controls emotions and negative thoughts. Through yoga, we develop a sense of well-being, mental purity, and self-confidence.
Also Read: Mayurasana
What is Ardha Chakarasana?
Ardha Chakrasana is commonly known as Standing Backward Bend Pose. Ardha means ‘half’, Chakra means ‘wheel ‘, and Asana means ‘Pose’. This asana is extremely beneficial as it helps in controlling the blood sugar level and relieves back pain and stomach irritation. This yoga pose also helps in respiratory disorders and stimulates abdominal organs like the pancreas.
What is the origin/history of Ardha Chakkarasana?
Maharishi Patanjali has told about many asanas in the yoga Sutras. All those postures appear to be inspired by some object or creature found in nature. Yoga scientists have created ‘Chakrasana’ keeping the wheel in mind. Chakrasana is also called Urdhva Dhanurasana.
There are many benefits of this practice. But as more development has progressed, yogis have created variation yogasanas even in the middle of Chakrasana. The posture of yoga with these variations is Half Wheel Pose. It is also called Ardha Urdhva Dhanurasana
What is the science behind Ardha Chakarasana?
Ardha Chakrasana gives a good stretch to the lungs and chest. In this way, oxygen reaches your lungs, due to which your respiration is regular. This asana gives strength to many of your muscles like abdomen, buttocks, spine, shoulder blades, and glutes.
Ardha Chakrasana stimulates your pituitary and thyroid glands, thereby controlling the hormones. This leads to strength. This asana cures your neck, knee, and back pain. Ardha Chakrasana infuses new energy into you by reducing stress and depression.
What are the benefits of Ardha Chakaraasana?
In today’s era, yoga is a spiritual, mental, and physical practice that has been going on for centuries. Today over time people have discovered many health benefits associated with yoga. Yoga nowadays is used to burn calories and strengthen muscles.
Let’s discuss the benefits of Ardhchakarasana in detail.
Respiratory Congestion: This asana is one of the best yoga poses to treat breathing and lung-related problems. It also helps in increasing the capacity of the lungs thereby ensuring good health.
Spine-health: The practice of this asana is extremely beneficial for the stiff muscles and nerves of the back. It is used to reduce stress, strengthen, and make the back muscles and nerves flexible.
Losing weight: This asana used to reduce excess fat from the abdominal side. But for this, you should do it regularly
Abdominal congestion: Half Wheel Pose strengthens your abdominal muscles. It also enhances the functionality of the abdominal organs. This yoga helps in strengthening the abdominal and shoulder muscles. It improves the function of the digestive system and thyroid glands. It is a good yoga pose for people who have back problems and postural defects.
Regulates metabolism: This yogasana activates the thyroid gland, thereby balancing the hormones. Thus control hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Ardha Chakrasan regulates metabolism and controls weight.
Strengthening the legs: It strengthens the nerves and muscles of the knees, hips, and legs
Increases Efficiency: Ardha Chakrasana removes lethargy and provides energy to your body and thus enhances the efficiency of various body systems.
Stimulation of the pancreas: It controls the hormones of the pancreatic gland, which gives great benefits in diseases like diabetes.
Special benefits for girls and women:-
- With this asana, the beauty of your youth remains intact because in this your spine remains flexible.
- Ardha Chakrasana increases the flexibility of the whole body including legs, arms, abdomen, buttocks, neck, and genital area and helps to develop your chest and breasts. That’s how you stay young for a long time.
- This yoga strengthens your digestive system and gastric problems.
- This asana also cures disorders of the reproductive system of girls and women.
Also Read: 5 effective yoga poses for better sleep
What is the step-wise technique for Ardha Chakarasana?
- You stand in Pranamasana on the yoga mat.
- Now keep your legs straight and your hands will be with the body.
- Balance your weight equally on both feet.
- While inhaling, raise your hands upwards.
- Keep your palms facing each other
- As you exhale, slowly bend the pelvis forward.
- Now bend your back and keep your hands in line with your ears, elbows, and knees.
- You lift your head and chest upwards.
- Staying in this posture, keep inhaling and exhaling.
- Breathe in and come back.
- You exhale, bring your hands down and relax.
- Try to maintain the minimum gap between your elbows to get more oxygen.
- You gradually increase your practices.
- For the first time, you should practice the asana under the supervision of a qualified yoga guru.
- Do not bend your knees as you stretch and bend backward.
- If you feel like dizziness, then do not do this asana.
- Do not do this yoga if you feel any discomfort or pressure.
- In Ardha Chakrasana, neither bend the waist back too much nor stay in the posture for a long time.
Precautions for Ardha Chakrasana:-
- Do not do Half Wheel Pose if you have a neck, spinal or hip injury.
- Those people who have vertigo should be very careful during the practice of this asana.
- High BP Patients with diabetes should not attempt Half Wheel Pose.
- This posture puts pressure on the fetus, this effort should not be done by pregnant women.
- This asana should be avoided even if there is a serious illness.
- Do not practice this asana if there is a problem with diarrhea and asthma.
- Ardha Chakrasana is one of the best yoga asanas which helps in proper digestion but it should be practiced with great care.
- If you have the following problems then don’t do this- Dizziness, Insomnia, and Migraine.
Q- What is the preparatory pose for Ardha Chakaraasana?
A- Do this asana before Ardha Chakrasana
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
Q- Is there any drawbacks of Ardha Chakrasana?
A- Yes, there are some precautions in this yoga posture that you have to keep in mind.
- Do not do this asana if you have a neck, spine, or hip injury.
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure, then do not do this asana.
- If you are pregnant then do not do this asana at all.
Q- What tips should beginners keep in mind before doing yoga or Ardhachakrasana?
A- Remember these points:-
- Respect your body’s limits and don’t push yourself too much. You start slow and steady and you will eventually achieve your goals. Your 15 minutes of yoga a day may be more effective than occasional longer sessions.
- Be regular with your Ardha Chakrasana or other asana exercises to get more benefits. When you do yoga asanas regularly, your body begins to become familiar with the pose. And you feel comfortable with the process. This will increase flexibility and have a positive effect on your physical, mental and emotional health.
- You take into account all contraindications; some yoga postures are not meant to be practiced by pregnant women or menstruating or people with certain injuries. Don’t spoil your health by practicing the wrong yoga posture.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Don’t forget to breathe! Take the time to learn about healthy breathing as you practice Ardha Chakrasana and all other yoga asanas.
- Do not eat food for an hour or two before practicing yoga. Avoid drinking water during exercise. You can drink a small amount before starting yoga. Avoid or limit your intake of alcohol, caffeine, and sugar before starting your exercise regimen.
- Wear comfortable clothes to do your exercises as you pull your body in different directions. Your clothes sometimes restrict your activities in any way or distract you from your practice.
In the end- The strain on the waist that comes from sitting on a chair or working by bending down can be removed with Ardha Chakrasana. This asana can be easily done anywhere and anytime while standing. In Half Wheel Pose, we bend our waist slightly backward, due to which flexibility and strength start coming in the waist.
It becomes beneficial in removing back pain, slip disc, and sciatica pain. By practicing this asana, the muscles of the neck, back, and waist also get strength and flexibility and also the nervous system starts getting stronger.
Yoga provides a system of practices that helps in reaching the goal. Yoga helps to develop the inherent goodness in people which can be expressed externally. If we achieve this through yoga we will undoubtedly contribute to a better world.
After you practice yoga continuously for some time, you start getting this true happiness within yourself. This yoga is amazing and it feels great. Now you realize that looking this way or that way, earning more money, being the best at everything, etc. does not bring happiness. Our happiness lies within all of us, and it is easily attainable!