Yoga is believed to predate Hinduism and is being practiced all over the world today. People of all generations have learned about the virtues of yoga and accepted it as a form of exercise and meditation. Yoga is not only a form of exercise but it is also an ancient knowledge to lead a healthy, happy and peaceful life.
It helps in finding inner peace and oneness with oneself. Everyone thinks that yoga is a form of exercise that involves stretching and rotating the body part but yoga is much more than just exercise. Yoga is the art of living life through the mental, spiritual and physical path.
Also Read: VRKSASANA– The tree that bends, doesn’t break
There are innumerable benefits of yoga, this yoga is a boon given by God to human civilization. It is really a miracle that people today are conquering diseases through yoga which have no cure in the present system of medicine. One such miraculous yoga posture is Ardha Matsyendrasana which proves to be very comfortable for diabetic patients.
Let’s talk about it.
What is Ardha Matsyendrasana?
It is also known as ‘Half Spinal Twist Pose’ or ‘Vakrasana’. The half spinal twist defines the precise posture of this yogasana. Ardha Matsyendrasana is derived from the Sanskrit words Ardha, Matsya, Indra and Asana. Where Ardha means Half, Matsya means Pisces or Fish, Indra means King and Asana means Pose.
It is done in a sitting position and stretches and back exercises. This is an amazing curved yoga pose. Half Spinal Twist pose is one of the best and most important asanas in Hatha Yoga. It has a huge amount of benefits which cover all the body systems. This asana was named Matsyendrasana after Yogi Matsyendranath. This asana is also called Vakrasana.
Ardha Matsyendrasana is not very easy like other asanas, so most people initially practice this asana under the supervision of a yoga expert.
Benefits- Ardha Matsyendrasana
The best and better way to keep the body healthy and longevity is the regular practice of yoga, if you adopt yoga then it also gives you mental peace. Some of benefits of this yoga asana as follow –
- Panacea for diabetes: You can control diabetes to a great extent by just doing Ardha Matsyendrasana yoga. Keeping the pancreas healthy, this posture helps in the production of insulin, which controls the secretion of insulin, thus it plays an important role in the prevention of diabetes.
- To reduce obesity: If you want to reduce your belly fat, then definitely practice this asana. All the abdominal organs are massaged by continuous practice of this asana.
- Makes the spine flexible: It strengthens and makes the muscles of the spine and back flexible. It makes all the bonuses of the spine flexible and strong.
- Beneficial for kidney: By its practice, you can keep your kidneys healthy. It controls all the activities that happen in the kidney.
- Adrenal gland: This is a beneficial yoga practice for the adrenal gland. It controls the hormones of the adrenal gland
- Liver and Spleen: It keeps liver and spleen healthy.
- Prevents Constipation: Helps in the secretion of various juices of the stomach, corrects digestion and relieves constipation.
- Beneficial for asthma patients: Its practice brings a lot of stretch in the lungs and is useful in providing relief to asthma patients.
- Tilted shoulders: With regular practice, sloping shoulders and twisted back can be cured.
- Strengthens the shoulders: It stretches and strengthens the shoulders, hips and neck.
The science behind asana- Ardha Matsyendrasana
With this yoga asana, the spine remains healthy by staying healthy. Not only does the spine remain strong, along with the nerves also get a good workout. By doing this regularly, it has a good effect on the back, stomach, legs, neck, arms, waist, below the navel and the nerves of the chest getting good stretch. As a result, the gastritis intensifies. The pains of the waist, back and joints are quickly removed.
- The spine gets strengthened.
- The flexibility of the spine increases.
- By expanding the chest, the lungs get the right amount of oxygen.
- It has many physical and mental benefits.
For beginner- Method of Ardha Matsyendrasana
If you do not do yoga regularly, then there is stiffness in your body, due to which it may feel difficult to do asanas. Therefore, in the initial phase, you should do asanas in a simple way, this will make you feel comfortable.
- Sit down with your legs extended out.
- Bend your right leg at the knee and place it under the left thigh.
- Now bend your left leg and keep it near the right knee, if you find it difficult to keep the foot on the outside of the right thigh, then keep it inside the knee.
- Turn the body above your waist to the right, if you cannot turn your body completely, then bend as much as you can according to your ability.
- Place your left hand on the right thigh and your right hand on the ground near the buttocks.
- Maintain this position according to the capacity, slowly come to your comfortable position and repeat this process from the other side.
- If you do this easy method regularly then you will feel comfortable in doing the above difficult method.
Method – Ardha Matsyendrasana
Practice Ardha Matsyendrasana in a cool and airy place.
- Sit on the mat with both legs extended. Bend the left leg at the knees and place the heel under the anus.
- Put the sole of the foot with the right thigh.
- Now bend the right leg from the knees and make it stand. And while taking the left thigh up, put it on the back of the thigh.
- Now pressing the left hand next to the knee of the right foot, hold the toe of the right foot with the left hand.
- Turn the head to the right and above the knee of the right leg, the pressure of the left shoulder should be applied.
- Now by rotating the right hand behind the back, hold the thigh of the left leg on the lower part or keep it on the ground behind the back.
- Turn the head to the right and so that the chin and left shoulder come in a straight line.
- In this asana, the chest should be very tight.
- Relax after staying in this position for 15 -30 seconds.
- Then do the same for the other side.
Also Read: Virasana (Hero Pose)
Caution – Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Pregnant women should not practice this asana.
- People suffering from stiffness in the spine should do this asana carefully.
- If you have acidity or stomach pain, then you should avoid doing this asana.
- Avoid the practice of this asana due to excessive knee problems.
- Do this carefully if there is a pain in the neck.
- Do not do this asana if you have recently had stomach surgery.
- If there is heart disease or ulcer, then this asana should not be done.
- In the initial days, common people should also practice Ardha Matsyendrasana in the presence of a qualified teacher.
Some common FAQs
Que- Who should not do Ardha Matsyendrasana?
Ans- People with Heart, abdominal or brain surgeries should not practice this asana. Care should be taken for those with peptic ulcer or hernia. Those with severe spinal problems should avoid and those with mild slipped disc can benefit but in severe cases it should be avoided.
Que- What are the three advantages of Ardha Matsyendrasana?
- It strengthens and tones your obliques and abs.
- The pose energizes and stretches the spine.
- Open your shoulders, hips and neck.
- Increase the flexibility in your spine and hips.
- It also cleanses your internal organs.
- It will improves digestion as well as elimination of the wastes.
Que- What are the contraindications of ardha Matsyendrasana?
Ans- Ardh Matsyendrasana Contraindications: People suffering from severe back or neck pain should practice with caution, and with close supervision. Those with slip disc problems should avoid this pose completely. Those with internal organ issues may find this pose difficult and painful.
Que- Which life disease is cured by Ardhmatayendrasana?
Ans- Ardha Matsyendrasana/ Half Spinal Twist: People suffering from diabetes can do this asana to control body sugar level.
At the end of blog- Hope you understood the method and benefits of doing Ardha Matsyendrasana.In the end we can say that it is a miraculous asana for diabetic patients, which can be controlled to a great extent. Because it controls the hormones of the pancreatic gland. Apart from this, it stimulates all the abdominal glands so that all the organs function properly.
At present, yoga is given importance even scientifically. Today even doctors encourage their patients to do this yoga asana. Because it increases the immunity power of our body and the body becomes disease free.
Yogah ChittaVritti Nirodhah’’ which means yoga is the removal of the fluctuations of the mind
That is why yoga is called physical and mental treatment.
If we practice yoga regularly then we can get rid of negative thoughts in life. Apart from this, doing yoga brings flexibility in the human spine, due to which our physical condition is always healthy. Yoga increases our focus and concentration. Yoga helps in removing stress and anxiety by bringing the human body into discipline.
Please feel free to tell us by giving your valuable suggestions that how Yogaholism can be made even better? Your suggestions will make this website more objective. And will be helpful in making it successful. You can comment below or mail us your suggestions!