Now all of you must have become well acquainted with how beneficial yoga is for health. It helps you to get rid of many diseases. Some yoga asanas are so beneficial for you that they remove even the most serious diseases. People who practice yoga regularly can live a healthy life by getting rid of many diseases. Different yoga asanas have different benefits.
Today we are telling you about Gomukhasana. This asana is extremely beneficial for diabetic patients. Apart from this, it is also beneficial in arthritis, constipation, and hernia. Let us know in detail in today’s article.
Also Read: Uttanpadasana
Etymology and origin- The name comes from the Sanskrit go meaning “cow”, Mukha meaning “face” or “mouth”, and asana meaning “posture” or “seat”. The pose is ancient as it is described in the Darshana Upanishad, written around the 4th century. It is sometimes used for meditation and pranayama. Gomukhasana helps to increase the flexibility of the back.
This asana aids in the treatment of sciatica stimulates the kidneys and stretches the hips and thighs. This asana also stimulates the Swadhisthana (spleen or sacral) chakra and the Anahata (heart) chakra. These chakras are centers of happiness, joy, love, and compassion, making Gomukhasana a powerful pose.
This asana is of more importance spiritually and this asana is used in self-study. This asana cures back pain, gout, stiffness of the shoulder, indigestion, and intestinal diseases. It cures diseases related to testicles. This asana must be done by those women whose breasts have remained small and underdeveloped due to some reason. This asana enhances the beauty of women and it is also beneficial in leucorrhoea.
Cow Face Pose-Health benefits-
There are many benefits of this asana which are as follows-
Improves Body Posture: Gomukhasana stretches the muscles in the ankles, knees, chest, and shoulders which not only strengthens them but also improves body posture. During this asana, almost all the joints of the body are working which increases the blood flow. This asana ensures that the body gets more blood and nutrition. This asana prevents injuries to the ankles, chest, back, and shoulders.
Heals sciatica infection: Sciatica is a term used to describe nerve pain in the leg, which is characterized by compression and irritation of the sciatic nerve that originates in the lower back, passing through the buttock and travels below the foot. Gomukhasana can cure or keep such pain away by lengthening and stretching the spine.
Stimulates the kidneys: Gomukhasana is one of the best asanas to help in the smooth functioning of the kidneys. It reduces the formation of stones in the kidney. This asana also improves the frequency of urination to flush out all the toxins, acids, and other unwanted substances.
Enhances sexual performance: You should practice Gomukhasana regularly to keep your sex life healthy. This asana squeezes our sex organs which helps in the production of sex hormones, improves blood circulation, and overall enhances sexual performance. It also strengthens the muscles of the hips, calves, and thigh which are the optimum body parts for good sexual performance.
Relieves stress and anxiety: Gomukhasana is one of the best ways to get rid of stress. It is the right combination of physical and mental exercise that lowers blood pressure and heart rate.
Cow Face Pose for Beginner-
If you do not do yoga regularly, then there is stiffness in your body, due to which it may feel difficult to do asanas. Therefore, in the initial phase, you should simply do asanas, this will make you feel comfortable.
- Sit down with your legs extended out.
- Now bend your left leg from the knee and place it under the right thigh and keep the right leg on the left thigh by bending the knee, if you are having trouble sitting in this position then you can sit on a blanket or pillow.
- Place your right hand above your neck, bend the left hand at the elbow and take it back from the side of the waist. If you cannot touch both your palms behind the back, then do as much as you can, do not stretch too much, keep this position for 1 minute or as per capacity.
Cow Face Pose Steps:
How to do it
- After choosing a good place, spread that seat and sit in the position of Sukhasana.
- After this, keep the heel of your left foot near the right buttock.
- After this, place the right foot on the left thigh.
- You have to keep it in such a way that both the knees come on top of each other.
- If you are not able to understand then you can take the help of the given picture.
- After this, take the left hand behind the back, as well as take the right hand behind the right shoulder.
- Keep both hands connected, but keep in mind that while doing this asana, your neck should be straight.
- Keep your eyes closed and remain in this pose for thirty seconds to one minute. Choose the time according to your ability.
- Repeat this asana two to three times.
- After doing it from one side, do the same on the other side.
Point to be noted–
- Those people who have any kind of problem in the arms, legs, and spine, such as any injury or any disease, those people should not do this asana. It may be that in the beginning, your hands are not binding backward, so do not force it, keep practicing it daily, gradually you will learn to do it.
- While doing this asana, keep the spine and neck straight.
- If there is difficulty in turning the hands backward or holding each other, a towel or cloth may be used.
- Many people have difficulty in bending the legs, so before doing Gomukhasana, you can do some others like butterfly posture, virasana, padmasana, doing these asanas helps in making the legs flexible.
- After doing this asana, breathing should be done normally.
- Do not be hasty or force while doing this asana.
Who should not do Gomukhasana?
- Gomukhasana should not be done by those people who have severe pain in their hands, feet, knees, and spine.
- Pregnant women should not do this asana.
- People who have bloody piles should not do this asana.
- If you have had any kind of serious illness or operation, then do it only under the advice or supervision of a yoga expert.
- If there is any kind of problem while doing this asana, then a yoga expert should be supervised.
When and how long to do Gomukhasana?
This asana can be done in the morning or the evening on an empty stomach, but the maximum benefit is obtained by doing it in the morning.
People who keep doing yoga can easily do it for 1 to 2 minutes but those who are starting should do it for 10 to 20 seconds then gradually increase the time limit.
Tip-Gomukhasana is highly beneficial for your health and must be practiced regularly to see the changes in your body.
Q-1 What should be the preparatory poses of Gomukhasana?
A. There are a few preparatory poses of Gomukhasana that will open the shoulders and hips, but they should be followed in proper order. It should begin with 10 round of Sun Salutation because they open up the arms, shoulders, and lower back. Then Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose) must be followed which will open the thighs and the knees. The longer you can stay in the position, the easier Gomukhasana will be for you. Finally, Dhanurasana should be done which will ease up the chest, legs, and shoulders.
Q-2 Is cow-face pose beneficial for frozen shoulders?
A. Although a slightly difficult asana, Gomukhasana is very beneficial for a person with a frozen shoulder- it can eliminate stiffness and reduce tension, and help gain mobility. It might hurt initially but eventually has promising results. it is recommended to also do Garudasana and Dhanurasana along with Gomukhasana. This should strictly be done under proper supervision or else could lead to worse pain.
Through this article, it must have become clear to you that by taking out a few minutes every day to do yoga, the health of the body can be maintained better. If the method of doing Gomukhasana is not right, then instead of its benefits, there can be harm. Therefore, before doing any asana including Gomukhasana, it should be done under the supervision of an expert We hope that every piece of information given in this article will prove useful to you. For any other kind of information or suggestion related to this article, you can contact us with the help of the comment box given below.
Keep doing yoga