If you want to make yourself healthy and invigorate your body, then yoga will be beneficial for you. The reason for this is that you can do it anywhere for just 20 to 30 minutes and by doing this your body remains healthy. Yoga is not a single action, but it is a yogasana made up of many types of activities. In this, there is a different yoga for each part of the body, which affects that part of your body, so that part of the body remains free from diseases. One of this yogasasana is Paschimottanasana.
Paschimottanasana is a Sanskrit word, where Paschim means backward, Uttan means stretched and Asana means pose. While practicing this asana, there is a stretch in the back part of the body, that is, the spine, due to which this asana is called Paschimottanasana. It is also called the Seated Forward bend pose. This asana is one of the most effective poses to stretch the whole body.
While doing Paschimottanasana, its effect falls on the back of the body. That is why it is called Paschimottanasana. This asana makes the spine flexible. Due to which there is benefit in Kundalini awakening. This asana is more important from a spiritual point of view.
Pashchimottanasana is a good exercise for the whole body, especially the abdomen, spine, knees, scapula (shoulders and hands), and the location of the kidney. With this asana, there is good tension in the liver, spleen, pelvis, small intestine and large intestine, due to which abundant pure blood flows to these organs. These organs do their work properly by staying healthy.
Also Read: Halasana
How to practice
- First of all, spread a rug or any cloth on clean and flat ground and lie down straight.
- While lying down, keep both legs together and keep your body straight.
- Now move both your hands towards the back of the head.
- Now while lifting both your hands above the ground, rapidly lift the upper part of the waist from the ground as well.
- Now slowly bring both your hands towards your feet and hold the toes of both feet. While this action is happening, keep both your legs and hands straight.
- If you can’t hold the thumb at first, then move your hands as far as you can. Afterward, gradually reducing the distance, try to hold the toes with the hands. When you are successful in doing this action, which tries to put your nose slowly in the knees by lowering the head between both hands. Stay in the thumb-holding position for 10 to 12 seconds.
- After this, keeping the hands on the feet, leaving the thumb, slowly pull it backward. In this sequence, keep touching both the feet with both hands. In this way, after completing this action for 1 time, rest for 10 seconds and repeat this action, in this way do this asana only 3 times. While doing this asana, breathe in and out normally.
Benefits of Paschimottasanas-There are the following major benefits of this asana.
1. Paschimottanasana benefits in digestion
At present, everyone is troubled by stomach problems, if you are also troubled by problems related to stomach or digestion, then Paschimottanasana is the perfect yoga action for you. By doing this, your digestive power is strengthened and food becomes easier to digest. By doing this, many types of problems related to your stomach end.
By the practice of Paschimottanasana, there is a miraculous improvement in the functioning of our body parts. Along with this, it helps in correcting our digestion and excretion. Therefore, it can be believed that regularizing this asana will be beneficial in correcting your digestive system.
2. Paschimottanasana Benefits in Headache-
If you often have headaches due to stress and anxiety, then you should do Paschimottanasana regularly, it can give you relief from headache. This yoga asana helps you to get relief from stress, depression, and anxiety. Because of this, it can be assumed that it can prove to be beneficial in a condition like headache due to stress.
3. Benefits of Paschimottanasana in Stress and Mild Depression-
In our fast-growing life, we often get stressed and mild depression. To get rid of all these problems, you should give yoga a place in your life. To get rid of all these problems, you can do Paschimottanasana. It also works to relieve tension and mild depression as well as headaches caused by it. If you practice Paschimottanasana regularly then it not only removes physical problems but it also helps in healing mental health.
4. Benefits of Paschimottanasana in fatigue and weakness-
To maintain the new energy and blood flow in the body, many types of yoga asanas are done, one of those yogasanas is Paschimottanasana. Research shows that doing this yoga helps in removing physical fatigue and also infuses new energy into the body. Due to this, we do not even do any favors of fatigue and weakness. Therefore it can be believed that if you do Paschimottanasana regularly then you can get rid of fatigue and weakness.
5. Benefits of Paschimottanasana in weight loss-
If you are also troubled by increasing weight and you want to get rid of your obesity, then you should adopt yoga. Because there are many types of yoga activities, by doing which weight can be reduced, one of them is Paschimottanasana. It is believed that if you want to lose weight then you should practice this Paschimottanasana regularly. This will help you in reducing weight. But along with this, you should also pay special attention to a balanced diet in your regular routine. If you do this then you will be able to take all the benefits of Paschimottanasana to reduce weight.
Caution While Doing Paschimottanasana –
- Always do this yoga on an empty stomach.
- In the initial stage of this asana, there may be trouble in touching the thumb with the hands and touching the knees with the nose. So do not rush or force it and try to complete the exercise gradually.
- Never do this asana with jerks.
- Patients with intestinal inflammation or appendicitis should not do this asana.
- This yoga should not be practiced when there is a problem in the back and there is a problem in the bones of the spine.
- Those who are suffering from stomach ulcers should not do this asana. – treatment of stomach ulcers.
- Initially do this asana for half to one minute, after increasing the practice do it for 15 minutes?
Also Read: 4 yoga poses for Acidity
Q-1 When should you not do Paschimottanasana?
A- Pregnant Women: Pregnant women should avoid this pose as there would be pressure on the pelvic area and the uterus may not be able to withstand the pressure. Spondylitis: Someone suffering from spondylitis should avoid Paschimottanasana as the forward bend can bring pressure to the neck and shoulders.
Q-2 Which are the major contraindications of Paschimottanasana?
A- Contraindications of paschimottanasana are as follows-
- Abdominal ulcer.
- Back injury.
- Slipped Disc.
Q-3 Does Paschimottanasana increase height?
A- The pose stretches your hamstring and spine. It stimulates the liver and kidneys. It also increases height, improves digestion, reduces headache, reduces obesity, increases appetite, and can cure insomnia and high blood pressure.
Q-4 What is the advantage of Paschimottanasana?
A- Some of the health benefits of Paschimottanasana are: It helps calm the brain, thereby providing relief from stress and mild depression. It can help reduce anxiety and fatigue.
Q-5 What does Paschimottanasana strengthen?
A- Paschimottanasana is a great way to strengthen the erector spine muscles of the lower back and help to encourage an energetic and upright posture.
Q-6 How much time do you need for Paschimottanasana?
A- This asana can be held for up to 30 seconds to start with and over time this can be increased to 3–5 minutes.
In the end- Now you must have come to know very well about the important things related to Paschimottanasana. Along with this, you must have got all the small and big information related to the benefits of doing Paschimottanasana. In such a situation, if you want to practice this asana, then the method of doing Paschimottanasana described in this article will help you. The importance of yoga has increased in the modern era. People are now suffering from problems like physical stress, exhaustion, restlessness, and other major mental diseases.
To overcome this, now it has become important to adopt yoga in this era. People are falling prey to obesity and yoga is very beneficial for this. Yoga brings a clean change in the lifestyle of a person, which is the need for cleanliness all over the world now. Yoga not only relieves stress but also increases the strength of the brain. Doing yoga regularly gives a feeling of freshness throughout the day. If you have a query related to this asana. Please feel free to ask in the comment box.
Stay healthy & fit.