Prayer pose, also known as Pranamasana is a standing yoga pose and the part of Sun Salutation(Surya Namaskar). It is the 1st and 12th (last) yoga pose of the sequence of Sun Salutation.
It is called Pranamasana in Sanskrit as Pranam means to pay respect and Asana means pose. Prayer pose is standing and also seated yoga pose. Prayer pose is not just good for your physical well-being but it also instills spiritual energy to your mind.
Also Read: Steps and Benfits of Surya Namaskar
Alongside the Prayer pose, you should also chant the mantra as a part of Sun Salutation. The mantra chanted during 1st pose is “Om MitrayaNamah” and the mantra chanted during last and 12th pose is “Om Bhaskaraya Namah”
Benefits of Prayer pose
There are so many health benefits of Prayer pose. The benefits of Prayer pose are:
- Opens up your chest area
- Improves respiratory system
- Improves your body posture
- Aligns and strengthens the shoulders
- Helps with controlling your anger
- Strengthens the lower body part
- Helps with digestion & increase hips’ flexibility (in Squat prayer pose)
- Tones thigh muscles and backbone
- Makes you calm and composed
- Nourishes your hip and knee joints
- Awakes your spiritual self
- Helps get rid of negativities from your mind
Also read: 5 easy yoga poses to improve your posture
How to do Prayer pose?
The steps of Prayer pose are:
- Stand straight on the yoga mat, keep your feet together and your hands by your sides.
- Now bring both your hands in front of your chest and join your arms together.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and elbows to the side of the rib cage.
- Stop thinking about everything for that moment.
- Now close your eyes and feel the peace.
Things to remember while doing Prayer Pose – Precautions
- Practice prayer pose early in the morning, and at the time of Sunrise, if possible.
- Avoid eating anything before practicing prayer pose.
- Don’t forget to close your eyes while practicing it.
- It is said that you should practice it at the direction of the Sun; facing sun’s side.
Variations of Prayer pose
1. Sitting Prayer pose (Cross-legged, in lotus and legs out straight)
As the name suggests, In sitting prayer pose, you need to do the prayer pose while sitting. Sitting prayer pose also has its variations. You can do it while sitting cross-legged, keeping your legs straight forward, and while sitting in lotus pose.
2. Squatting Prayer pose (Keep feet hips’ width distance apart)
Squatting prayer pose means doing the prayer pose while sitting in the squat position while keeping your feet hips’ width apart. This pose gives flexibility to your hips and improves your digestion.
3. Reverse Prayer Pose
In reverse prayer, every step is same exact the step of joint your palms in front of your chest. In reverse prayer pose, you have to do it in reverse to join your hands/palms at your back.
Also Read: Yoga Poses for mental health and inner peace
I hope this blog was helpful to you. If you love yoga and love reading lifestyle blogs then follow our website YogaHolism for more.
If you liked this blog then share it with friends & family on your social media. If you’ve any queries or feedback then you can comment them in the comment section below.
Thanks for reading.