Sri Krishna has said in the Gita about Yoga: Karmasu Kaushalam means skill in actions comes from yoga.
Yoga is a spiritual process to keep the body and mind healthy. The reason for this is that now the whole world has started believing that doing yoga removes mental and physical ailments and it can be done anywhere. Yoga acts as a kind of self-healing for us, which we can do with great ease by bringing in our life.
Apart from this, we can remove laziness, pain, diseases, and injury from our bodies. It can also remove anxiety, fear, stress, and problems from the mind. All these are some of the important importance of yoga.
Also Read: Ardha Matsyendrasana
Today we will tell you about Shalabh Asana. This is a very beneficial asana in strengthening the lower part of the body. With its practice, you can strengthen the legs, waist, spine, shoulders, and neck.
Shalabhasan is a Sanskrit word in which Shalabh means grasshopper. While doing this asana, the body looks like a grasshopper, hence it is named Shalabhasana. It is also known as Locust Pose and Grasshopper Pose. This is a very beneficial asana for back and back pain. With its regular practice, you can control back pain to a great extent.
- Lower- back pain
The science behind Shalabhasana-
This pose strengthens your abdomen and back. This also opens up your chest. This asana works as a backband that uses the limbs to push against gravity but in Shalabhasana the hands are suspended so your back and abdomen have to work harder to lift your body.
In which this asana helps in removing your back pain. Along with this, it cures many diseases like stomach diseases like constipation, etc. By doing this easily, your mind also remains calm.
Benefits of Shalabhasana Yoga-
1. The spine becomes flexible:- By practicing this asana regularly, the spine becomes flexible and strong, so that even in old age, the person walks erect and his spine does not bend. In human anatomy, the ‘backbone’ or the spinal column is a group of bones that run from the back of the brain to the anus. It consists of 33 sections. The spinal cord remains protected in the spinal cord within the spinal column.
2. Reduces belly fat:- This asana helps us to reduce belly fat and other parts of the body.
3. Beneficial in Digestion:- This asana helps in keeping the digestion process right. If our digestive system is right then all the diseases related to the stomach can be got rid of because most of our diseases originate from the stomach itself.
4. Beneficial in diabetes disease:- This asana is very beneficial for sugar patients. Diabetes is called a metabolic disease in which the amount of sugar in the person’s blood exceeds the requirement.
5. To increase positive thinking:- By regular practice of this asana, we can increase our memory power and positive thinking. When our thinking becomes positive then its results also start coming positive.
6. Relief from Constipation:- It is also a very good asana for those who are suffering from constipation.
7. Helpful in weight control:- With regular exercise, the extra fat deposited on the stomach and waist starts decreasing, which helps in weight control.
Other benefits of Shalabhasana yoga:-
- All diseases occurring in the lower part of the spine are removed.
- The benefit is found in back pain and sciatica pain.
- Uterine-related problems are removed.
- The process of blood circulation is smooth.
- The waist becomes flexible and the chest is wide.
- There is benefit in stomach gas
- Strengthens the shoulders and neck.
- Manipur Chakra develops.
- The navel remains in its place.
- The body is agile.
Tips to Do Salabhasana for Beginners-
The following points should be kept in mind before doing Shalabhasan–
- This posture is not as easy as it seems. There may be some discomfort in the beginning while doing this. Therefore, it is difficult to do exactly the exact posture at first.
- In the beginning, try to lift only the legs. Keep your upper body on the ground.
- You can use your hands to support your body.
- Start the practice slowly, only with continuous practice one can become proficient in this asana.
- Beginners should do this asana only under the supervision of a yoga instructor.
Process of Shalbhasana-
There are the following steps-
First position:- First of all, by laying a carpet or mat in a clean and ventilated place, go on your stomach on it and rest your little one on the ground.
Second position:- Now press both your hands under the thighs.
Third position:- Now taking a breath in, raise both your legs up in parallel order by keeping them close to each other.
The fourth position:- Now press the thighs with the palms of the hands to raise your legs further. And stay in this position for 10 to 30 seconds.
Fifth position:- Now to come back or again in the normal position, slowly bring both your feet on the ground and then take your hands out from under the thighs and lie down in the position of Makarasana.
Point to remember while doing Shalabhasan-
- This asana should always be done on an empty stomach.
- The legs should not bend from the knee while doing yoga.
- This yoga should not be done if there is any serious problem in the legs or thighs.
- Pregnant women should not do this yoga.
- Never try to do this asana more than your capacity.
- Do not do this asana if you have heart disease.
- This asana should not be done during pregnancy.
- Do not do this asana if you have a disease like an ulcer and a hernia.
- Do not do this asana if you have high blood pressure.
- Avoid this asana if you have diabetes.
- Do these asanas after Salabhasana-
Also Read: Vrksasana
Q-1 Who should avoid Shalbhasana?
Ans- Avoid Shalbhasana-
- Someone with acute back pain or slip disc, should avoid this pose.
- Someone with severe sciatica can bring in more injury here as this pose tightens the entire body from the hip to the feet.
- Someone with major problems with menstruation or with a prolapsed uterus should avoid.
- Women in their pregnancy should avoid this pose.
Q-2 When should Shalabhasana be done?
Ans- Practice 3 times. Shalabhasana is most beneficial when it is practiced after Bhujangasana (cobra pose) or before Dhanurasana (bow pose).
Q-3 What are the effects of Shalabhasana?
Ans- These are the major benefits of Shalabhasana-
- Strengthens the lower back, pelvic organs, legs, hip joints, and arms.
- Tones the sciatic nerves.
- Provide relief in backache, mild sciatica, and slipped disc.
- Alleviates unfavorable conditions of diseases of the stomach and bowels.
Q-4 What are the uses of Shalabhasana?
Ans- Most helpful for backache and sciatica pain. Useful for removing unwanted fats around the abdomen, waist, hips, and thighs. Daily practice of this Asana can cure cervical spondylitis and spinal cord ailments. Strengthening your wrists, hips, thighs, legs, buttocks, lower abdomen, and diaphragm.
Q-5 Can we do Shalabhasana during periods?
Ans- This asana can also help in dealing with irregular periods, bloating, heavy bleeding, and menstrual cramps.
In this article, you learned how to do Shalabhasan yoga and how the benefits of doing Shalabhasan can benefit the body. The person who eats the right food and practices yoga daily falls ill less and their lifestyle is also healthy. Therefore, this asana can be made a part of the lifestyle.
Yoga is not just exercise, but physical activity based on science. It is the union of mind, body, and soul. At the same time, harmony is established between man and nature. It is a way to live life properly. Yoga is an easy and very effective way to stay healthy. Usually, people take the help of medicines to stay healthy, but if you practice yoga every day, then you will not need to make extra efforts. It is only through yoga that a person experiences inner happiness and peace in his mind.
Yoga is important and beneficial to increase inner strength and to remove problems and stress. Yoga is the only reason due to which man attains his power and happiness. The importance of yoga is also proved by the fact that it helps make us confident and strong.
Do share this article with your friends and help others who want it. If you want to ask something, then you can comment to me below, I will help you.