Yoga is known for hundreds of health benefits. Yoga keeps us fit both physically and mentally. Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) is a sequence of twelve asanas connected by jumping or stretching movements and one of them is Urdhva Mukha Shvanasana.
Upward Facing Dog Pose is a modern yoga pose that stretches your lungs, abdomen, shoulders, and thorax. It is a part of Sun Salutation. It is commonly known as Urdhva Mukha Shvanasana in Sanskrit.
Upward facing dog pose has many health benefits like toning your lower back, improving blood circulation & many more.
Benefits of Upward facing dog pose:
Here I am describing all the benefits in brief.
- It improves your posture
- Makes your shoulders strong
- It also stretches your lower back muscles
- Strengthens your wrists
- Keeps your lungs healthy
- Greatly therapeutic for Asthma
- Helps in relieving depression, stress, and anxiety
- Stretch your legs, abdomen, chest & lungs
Steps of Upward facing dog pose – How to do Urdhva Mukha Shvanasana?
Doing yoga is easy but you need to take care of a few things and do it step-by-step for doing it perfectly. The steps of Upward facing dog are:
- Lie down straight on your belly on a flat and hard surface.
- Keep the toes resting on the floor.
- Now bring your forearms together, perpendicular to the floor and bend your elbows while keeping your palms straight beside your waist.
- Now apply pressure on your palms while slowly raising your upper body upwards.
- Once your arms are straight; fully extended, slowly raise your thighs off the floor. Your bodyweight should be only on your wrists and toes.
- Keep your wrist joint under your shoulder.
- Stay in this pose for 15 seconds and breathe normally.
- Then you can come back slowly to the starting position.
Precautions to take while doing Upward facing dog pose
- Don’t practice it if you’re more than 2 months pregnant
- It should be avoided by people who have lower back injury or disk problems
- If you suffer from migraines or frequent headaches
- People with carpal tunnel syndrome should avoid it as the weight of the body rests upon your wrists
Preparatory poses for Upward facing dog pose
To do Upward facing dog pose perfectly, you should start by practicing these yoga poses first:
Follow-up poses of Upward facing dog pose
Once you master Upward facing dog pose, you can practice the following poses next:
So guys, this is all about the Upward facing dog pose (Urdhva Mukha Shvanasana). I hope this blog was helpful to you.
Do you also do Yoga or Sun salutation? If yes, then how do you do it and what precautions do you take while doing it? At what time do you practice yoga?
Do practice upward facing dog pose daily and see the results in your health and your body.
Follow YogaHolism blog for more meditation, asanas and lifestyle blogs. Thanks for reading. If you have any queries or feedback, do comment in the comment section below.