Yogasanas help you stabilize the knee and strengthen the muscles it bring the knee into proper alignment. Yogasana help in to stretch legs and tight muscles. It prevents blockage of arteries by keeping the cholesterol in the body under control.
Yoga also helps in maintaining blood flow and staying disease-free. It also helps in circulation and improves the muscle tone of the body. By doing yoga, along with muscular tone, the ability of the heart to pump oxygen-rich blood throughout the body increases.
Yogasana helps in improving the overall health of a person and strengthens the body, heart, mind, and spirit. Yoga practice may seem daunting in the beginning but when practiced regularly it helps in rejuvenating your muscles and joints.
If you are looking for some positive changes in your life then it is better to go with a cautious pace. Yoga is very beneficial for those who are suffering from weak knees or knee pain.
Are you a frequent sufferer of knee pain? Let us know what are the causes and yogasana for knee pain?
Yoga is considered a natural way for knee pain. Here we have a few reasons that cause knee pain.
- Post-operation recovery.
- Usage of certain drugs.
- Physiological aging.
Here are a few specific yoga poses you can do that can do wonders for your joints, especially the knees.
Also Read: Virabhadrasana
- Setubandhasana( Bridge Pose)
- Utkataasana(Chair Pose)
- Virbhadrasana(Warrior Pose)
Setubandhasana (Bridge Pose)
Setubandhasana or Bridge Pose is one of the best yoga asanas for knee pain. This asana helps to stretch your joints in the knees and helps in reducing stress. You can practice this asana comfortably and provide energy to your body while reducing the pain in your knees.
Setubandhasana works like a backbend exercise. It stretches not only the external muscles but also the muscles of the internal organs such as the heart, lungs, and abdominal organs. In this way, this asana rejuvenates all the organs, which increases their efficiency.
This asana massages the internal organs of your abdominal region that mainly make up the digestive system, such as the stomach, small intestine, and large intestine. Thus, these organs get the benefit of this practice leading to their better functionality.
How to do step by step Setu Bandhasana?
- You should do Setu Bandhasana in a quiet and clean place.
- Lie down on your back by laying a mat on the ground first.
- Now bend your legs from the knees and keep the soles on the floor. While keeping your feet on the floor, keep in mind that both feet are making proper distance from the buttocks. Your waist and knees should be in a straight line.
- Now keep both your hands by your side and turn your palms down.
- Now while inhaling, raise the lower middle and upper parts of your body while putting pressure on both legs.
- Now touch the chest with your chin.
- You place both your palms together under your back.
- Now you have to keep the weight of your raised body balanced with both your feet and palms.
- When you exercise, make sure your legs and thighs remain stable and parallel.
- You keep breathing at a normal pace in this state and try to stay in this position for at least 1 minute.
- Now you come to the normal position while exhaling.
Tips for beginners:-While practicing Setu Bandhaasana make sure that you do not spread the tops of your shoulders out or away from your ears as this can cause pain in your neck. Apart from this, make sure that your buttocks are firm when you are in the bridge pose.
What are the precautions of Setubandhasana?
It has several important contraindications which are as follows-
- You should practice this asana on an empty stomach for your efficient results.
- Do not turn your head to the right or left when you are doing the asana.
- If you are suffering from knee pain then you should practice this asana carefully.
- If you are doing asana for the first time then practice this asana under guidance.
- People who have severe migraines should avoid this pose.
Utkatasana (Chair pose)
The chair pose is a staple posture in the world of yoga. It is a very straight and moderately easy asana and aims to strengthen most of the lower body including the calves, hips, and thighs. When the muscles of all these parts of the body get stronger, it makes it easier for the knee to function properly and also to reduce weight.
When you practice Utkatasana, it helps in strengthening your lower body. In this asana, your feet, ankles, and calves are targeted, which makes your muscles strong. Its practice provides a good stretch and helps in improving the health of the spine and knees. With its regular practice, you get relief from back pain and knee pain.
How to do step by step Utkatasana?
- To do Utkatasana or Chair Pose, first of all, you should stand straight by laying a yoga mat in a clean place.
- To do this asana, you should also stand in the posture of Tadasana.
- In this posture, keep both your feet close to each other and keep both hands straight.
- Now taking the breath in, raise both the hands upwards and join them together by taking them above your head.
- Now slowly bend your leg from here on the knees and bring your hips down.
- Now try to bring your hips parallel to the floor in this posture.
- Keep your neck and spine straight.
- Thus in this position, you look like a person sitting on a chair.
What are the precautions of Utkataasana?
- If you have pain or pain in your shoulders, then you should not do this asana.
- If you have back pain then do not do this asana.
- Women should not practice chair poses during menstruation.
- If you have arthritis or sprain in the ankles, then this asana should not be done.
- This asana should not be done if you are suffering from chronic knee pain and damaged ligaments.
Virabhadrasana (Intermediate Warrior pose -2)
Virabhadrasana is also known as warrior pose. It is known to strengthen the shoulders, arms, and back. This asana increases flexibility in the thighs and calves. Regular practice of this asana stretches the muscles of your ankles, hips, knees, and thighs, putting extra pressure on these muscles.
Thus the blood flow to this area increases and the muscles get more oxygen and nutrition. The practice of this asana creates a lot of pressure on the knees and it also stretches the knees which lead to improvement. Virabhadrasana increases the flexibility of our knees.
How to do step-by-step Virbhadrasana?
- First of all, stand straight with your feet by making a distance of 3-4 feet among themselves.
- While inhaling, raise both the hands parallel to the ground and turn the head to the right.
- Now while exhaling, slowly bend your right leg at 90 degrees to the right.
- Slowly bend your right knee. Make sure that the right thigh is parallel to the ground. You stay in this position for some time.
- After this, you come to your original position and breathe normally. And while turning your head to the left, do the same step for the left leg.
- Thus you repeat the cycle 4-5 times.
What are the precautions of Virbhadarasana?
- People suffering from heart disease or high blood pressure should not do this asana.
- You should not practice warrior asana if you are pregnant.
- If you are suffering from any type of spinal disorder then you should not do this asana.
- If anyone is suffering from a severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury, and knee injury or has recently suffered from any back or waist surgery, then they should not do this asana.
- People who are suffering from severe headaches should not do this asana.
- If you are suffering from any type of hernia then this asana should not be practiced.
Q- Is it okay to do yoga while sitting on your knees?
A- Yoga is very beneficial for your knee pain and should be done daily. If you have a serious knee injury or a torn ligament, then you should avoid any kind of workout. Yoga is a low-impact workout session that helps to improve and strengthen your knees.
Q- How Do I Protect My Bad Knees During Yoga?
A- If you follow some simple rules. If you have bad knees, doing yoga may be more comfortable.
• Always use a mat when you do yoga.
• You keep breathing throughout the process.
• You try to bend your knee subtly.
• If you are seeking help from a trainer, express all your concerns about your knee pain so that modifications can be made accordingly.
Q- How does diet affect your knee pain?
A- Proper diet plays an important role in the treatment of any disease and knee pain is no exception. Keep your weight under control so that there is minimum pressure on you. Try adding fresh vegetables, fruits, healthy beverages to your diet and avoid spicy, salty, and deep-fried foods.
In the end- Nowadays, the living standard of all the people has changed a lot, people are facing many kinds of problems. Nowadays, knee problems are increasing in people. Whether people are young or old, this problem is being seen as common in both people. The main reason for this is due to our daily routine and very little physical activity.
To get rid of knee pain, people show many doctors so that their pain ends. This knee pain does not leave you so easily. In such a situation, if you have knee pain, then you can include the above-mentioned yogasanas in your lifestyle. This will give relief to your knees to a great extent and you will get a lot of relief in a few days.
The main reason for this is due to our daily routine and very little physical activity. To get rid of knee pain, people show many doctors so that their pain ends. This knee pain does not leave you so easily. In such a situation, if you have knee pain, then you can include the above-mentioned yogasanas in your lifestyle. This will give relief to your knees to a great extent and you will get a lot of relief in a few days.
Please feel free to tell us by giving your valuable suggestions that how Yogaholism can be made even better? Your suggestions will make this website more objective and will help make it successful. You can comment below or mail us your suggestions!
Keep doing Yoga